Pages

Thursday, September 14, 2006







I finally got around to starting a Superman Returns drawing...but the Illustrator file went crazy and I had to export the unfinished piece to Photoshop. I eventually was able to find a way to retrieve the Illustrator art so I'll finish it soon. There are some problems with it. The tops of the boots are curved upward but they should be down, according to the perspective. The left arm is cartoony, yes, but I did a line indicating that the forearm is in front of the bicep-tricep area and that's wrong too. You still gotta follow SOME anatomy rules. I don't know what I was thinking. And that right leg is bad. I just kinda slugged it in there in order to finish it later.So there are issues with it. I'll get it done.

As far as the movie goes, I finally saw it about a month ago, maybe a little more. I liked it. I didn't LOVE it but I liked it. It's a good stepping off point for a franchise. The movie is a little long and light on plot but it was really just getting that feeling of Superman being back and what that means to the world and, specifically, Lois. The big plot development didn't bother me. I know there are comic purists out there losing their damn minds over it but that didn't really bug me. Not sure where they are GOING with it but I kinda suspect that it could be towards a bad thing. I don't know if they have the stones to do it but I think it would be wild if the kid died. If Zod killed him. I heard some stuff about there possibly being Zod and Brainiac in the next movie, if they make one (and the WB would be crazy if they didn't). Imagin Zod finding out that Supes has a kid. Try hearing this in a Terrance Stamp voice in your head. "What better way to exact my revenge? To kill the son of Jor-El, AND the son of Kal-El!"

Corny, I know. But you get my point. Imagine Superman arriving too late to save his son. What an incredible battle he and Zod would have, possibly on New Krypton in Earth's orbit. And then a weakened Superman taking on Brainiac who was behind the scenes the whole time, manipulating everything. That would be cool! Because, honestly, where are they going with the whole Superboy thing? I'm sure there are things they could do but this would be seriously EMOTIONAL. It would be deep. I'm sure that there are people that would balk at the kid dying...but I think it would be slick. I'd love to see an enraged Superman.

I did have two complaints about the movie and they are pure geek level, I mean like, 9.7 on the Geek Richter Scale. One was about the title sequence. Oh, visually, I loved it. A complete throwback to the original movie with great effects mimicing what was done before. I was really looking forward to the title sequence. But why have an edited John Williams score? It sounded chopped up and badly edited. Superman is one of the few themes that a lot of people can hum along with and it is really jarring when it's out of sequence. Couldn't they just use it exactly as it was on the John Ottman Superman Returns soundtrack cd? Again, this is pure geek but that's one thing that bugged me. I guess 'cause I was looking forward to the title sequence. The effects were tight, though.

The second is a costume issue and no, it's not the size of the "S" shield or the fact that it was three-dimensional. I really liked the 3D look of it and the size was fine. Anything bigger would be a bit much, I think. I would be interested in seeing it larger though, just to check it out. I could be completely wrong. But it didn't bother me. No, what got me is that they got rid of my favorite aspect of Superman's costume. The low hanging cape and wide neck of the top. See how they have the neck tight and the cape coming right out of the neck? See, I don't like that. Superman's shirt should start right below the clavicle; A really wide neck. And the cape shouldn't be tucked in at the neck it should be attached mostly at the trapezius.I put two pieces by Ed McGuiness in to show what I mean. Why did they feel the need to go away from that?



I don't know, that just bugged me. I know, I know, big, CRAZY geek complaints...lol..

No comments: